Learn the 7 top things that help taking music lessons
1. The benefits of music for children go beyond the sound itself. You have likely arrived at reading this article in your pursuit for music lessons. Regardless on whether you choose to study at the Tustin Music Center or not, you have made a very good decision in pursuing a musical education for your child.
According to MENC (National Education National Conference), music education teaches effective communication skills, creativity, multi-tasking, understanding of excellence, training of discipline, appreciation of beauty, and balanced living. Music education provides not only enrichment of emotional quality but also enhancement of life-skills through practices and performances. Tustin Music Center is determined to teach life-improving qualities to children and not merely musical skills.
2. Choosing the right teacher is a key factor in music lessons, as this will have a long lasting impact on your child’s musical education. The teacher should encourage the student in a nurturing way and be able to adapt different methods of teaching in order to adapt to different learning styles of each student. Our teachers are well versed in numerous pedagogical techniques for teaching.
3. Going to a music school for lessons is better then having someone come to the house. First, it is great motivator for practicing as it allows the students to interact with other children in a new and different learning environment, versus home where there are many distractions. Secondly, bringing your child to a music school shows greater parental involvement in their music education. There is a completely different tone when you take a child to a music lesson where you can watch him/her play and encounter others, in an encouraging musical environment.
4. A teacher with a quality formal college education plays a large role. All our teachers have professional collegiate music degrees with years of teaching and performing experience. You should be cautious to consider music teachers who do not have formal training.
5. When choosing music lessons with a music school, rather then a private teacher, you have the experience of the school to higher, maintain, and assure the quality of the student’s music education. This also gives you an accountability factor as to if the teacher is not the right fit for your child and you would simply like to study with another teacher. Remember, good music schools stay in business and grow because they hire and maintain high quality service.
6. The secret to motivating your child to practice is good teachers and active parents. Motivating students to practice is the age-old dilemma. Good teachers adapt to the learning needs of their students to motivate them to practice. Our teachers are creative in finding innovative ways to motivate your child to practice.
7. Active parental involvement is key and a music education offers a unique opportunity for you to spend quality time with your child. Parents are often finding unique ways of being involved in their child’s education. In sports, you often see that the coach of a team is a parent of one of the teammates.